10/04/2011

Listening Habits


I recently discovered Young Circles, from Miami. They released Jungle Habits, their first LP, a couple of months ago. I guess I'm two decades behind in blogosphere time.

A quote on their Bandcamp describes them as "Radiohead-meets-Clinic". At first, I liked that comparison (after all, that's quite a feat). But now I don't think that's fair at all. They're so much more. I continuously found myself hearing bits that sounded like other bands, but never quite put my finger on what it was. Kasabian? Arctic Monkeys? Beck? Wilco? Foreign Born? Sufjan? Atlas Sound? Damn, they even sounded like Nomo, in the Afrobeat-infused "Jangala" (it's an afro-Zappa-Zone, a bit much for my taste). I'm not claiming these bands are good descriptors for YC. I'm just trying to inadequately communicate how they make me feel. Every song on Jungle Habits has something unique, yet weirdly familiar. I loved it immediately, but where have I heard this before?

Now this for the next edition of Modern Jackass Magazine: "YC are doing in indie what Tarantino did in film. Jungle Habits is a quilt of references to a long list of influential indie musicians. The end product is, however, refreshing and very much welcome." Lolz. What a dick.

Listen and listen again. Then buy the whole thing. If you don't buy, at least go to SoundCloud and download "Asthmatic".

[Image via]

No comments:

Post a Comment