11/09/2010

Massive Classics

Teenager in the 90s, I hated 'Around the World' when it hit radio. I just wasn't ready for electronic music,  in a time when bands like Nirvana and RATM had given angsty teens everything they needed. But then, of course, I was victim of that trojan horse called OK Computer (1997). Motherfuckers took alt-rock kids and convinced them that electronic sounds were ok. That's how I was primed for Mezzanine (1998). As a little pushover project of a person, there was no way I was not obsessing with that album. It completely fucked me up. When Mezzanine came out, it forced me to go back to Blue Lines (1991) and everything from then on (Portishead, Tricky, Bjork, etc). Even worse, Mezzanine was my gateway drug into harder electronic music. Daft Punk's Homework, Chemical Brothers' Dig Your Own Hole, The Prodigy's Fat of The Land, all have a special place in my heart thanks to Massive Attack (and all of them are 1997 releases, fucking awesome year).

End of stroll down memory lane.

Here's a cool video from Massive Attack's Atlas Air (off of Heligoland - a meh album):

Massive Attack-Atlas Air-directed by Edouard Salier from edouard salier on Vimeo.

1 comment: