2/06/2012

Cults of Personality


There's a few living personalities in music that deserve their cult status: The Rolling Stones, David Bowie, Bob Dylan, Paul McCartney and a few others. All of them keep working, writing and performing with various degrees of success. Some, like the Stones, have aged surprisingly well after years of abuse. Others, like Dylan, have not fared so well (in my opinion). But I don't think any of them have actually gotten better.

I think there's a case to be made for Leonard Cohen actually being better today than when he started.

His new album, Old Ideas, is amazing. Listen to this shit:

Tell me again, when I'm clean and I'm sober,
tell me again, when I've seen through the horror,
tell me again, tell me over and over,
tell me that you want me then... amen.



Columbia records is doing a tribute to Leonard by getting artists to cover some of his classics. So far the likes of Bradford Cox, Cold War Kids, Greg Dulli, Bill Callahan and Cults have given it a shot. You can keep track of the recordings on Columbia Record's Vimeo page (right here). Here is Cult's version of "Everybody Knows."

No comments:

Post a Comment