5/30/2011

The Revolution will not be televised

Two new videos for my throwdown post and one hip hop send off.

Architecture in Helsinki released a video for the song Escapee off their new album Moment bends. I've enjoyed most of their previous work and although I haven't spent much time with Moment bends I did enjoy this song. I'm sure the bike theme of the video colored my whole opinion of the work, but I also found it very solitary and emotional in a way I was not expecting. The scene of them playing in a cramped garage also reminds me of my new digs.



I suppose re-posting something that has already been viewed >500,000 times means you've probably already seen it, but I hadn't before this morning. The video is by Is Tropical and the song is The Greeks. I spent most of my formative years organizing large scale battles and/or games with terribly complicated, every changing rules. Many aspects of this video reminded me of those days. I suppose not much has changed for me, but I bet it won't be long before this type of interactive experience is possible. #analogwasbetter




One of the true godfathers of hip hop, Gil Scott-Heron, died over the weekend. He had a powerful and organizing influence on early rap and unlike many godfathers he continued to be one for each new rap generation. Many of my favorite groups describe his work as central motivation for there own and as a testament he has been sampled by just about every mc worth their salt. I've put a video to one of my favorites from his early days.

No comments:

Post a Comment